So are you stuck at home and "homeschooling" your kids now? What's your biggest challenge?
With COVID-19 keeping everyone home, parents with kids are asking homeschooling moms like me HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!
Here is what I have to offer to those of you who are new to this.
First: NOTE-> YOU WILL HAVE REALLY BAD DAYS WHERE YOU ARE TERRIBLE AT EMOTIONALLY REGULATING YOURSELF! It's normal, okay? Thankfully, you'll also have really good days that more than make up for it. So when it's bad, trust me, just surrender to it! Cuddle. Play. Make art. Do what it takes to make and keep the peace and try your "to-do" list again tomorrow.
Second, here have been some of my best strategies:
1) I wake up 1.5 hour earlier than everyone else... even if I’m tired. This quiet time is so essential for prayer, self-care and getting organized for the day. Even though I may get less sleep, it actually helps me to be more efficient during the day and thus saves me energy in the long run.
2) We get outside every day... even if it takes an hour to get everyone out the door, that’s an hour less of struggling with quarrels and no matter how much complaining there is, everyone feels better after.
3) Audiobooks and colouring papers. I prep my meals or clean nearby while the kids colour.
4) Absolutely carve out some me-time at least once every three days where you can get away from your “job” as a parent. Plan it and guard it with the tenacity of a bull terrier. Don’t let it go. It feeds/nourishes you and therefore your family.
5) Music. Dance with your kids or by yourself (in the kitchen!), but I find good tunes always help transport me to a better state of mind ❤️
These are the most helpful strategies I’ve learned over the years. Have you found some of your own? Jot them down in the comments below for others to see.
Oh, and just know every one is struggling to stay sane, even your kids. 🤪 If you are losing your grip, they are - or will - too.
Accept your productivity is going to take a hit while they are home, and find the silver linings that actually make this time special. You or your kids are never going to forget COVID19, so what do you want them to remember about their time at home with you?
DO NOT expect they will sit down happily and fill out worksheets on demand!! Just plan on having fun first, and fill in the educational stuff afterwards. Make a good base of fun as your homeschool to start off (ie. games, research their interests, laugh, read out loud, etc.). If you get going on the wrong foot, it will likely take a while to get out of that funk! I have done exactly that more than I want to admit.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
It Takes Guts Nutrition
Katanne Belisle RHN
Gut Health Specialist
Whitehorse, YT, CAN
What Clients Are Saying
"I was plagued by a myriad of digestive and inflammatory issues and after months of discomfort I was fortunate enough to meet Katanne. Her insight, intuition, knowledge and caring attention has made it possible for me to heal and thrive with a new understanding of the food I eat. I am now healthier, happier and have more energy than I have had in quite some time. " ~ Steve T.
"Katanne gives well balanced information versed in first hand experience and research. After seeing various health professionals over the years, doing my own research, trials and tribulations, I can (say) that this is the real deal, and that what she provides people is a holistic, realistic approach to healing oneself through food" ~ Elizabeth G.