It can’t be avoided. Starting this week, our schools, offices and social lives will be inundated with sweet, sugary Halloween treats. Though most of us strive to avoid them, sometimes we just can’t help ourselves. Then, while sugar depresses are immune systems, the first week of November will harkens, “that awful flu going around”. You don’t have to get sick! Beat the flu with these simple tricks.
1. Start building up your immune system today by taking probiotics, fish or cod liver oil, and extra Vitamins C & D.
2. Upon waking, start each day with a glass of lemon water to gently cleanse your blood and liver. If you are inclined, follow up with a freshly made juice. Overall, drink more water during the day to provide fluid for secretions that help digest and detox, plus you’ll have more energy and less likely to reach for that Halloween bowl.
3. Eat nutrient-dense and immune building foods like salmon, wild or local-raised meats and eggs, broths, fresh produce, seaweeds, and fermented foods like kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut. These help balance your blood sugar, and provide necessary minerals, antioxidants, bacteria and fiber to keep you digestive and immune systems functioning at top strength.
4. Don’t skip breakfast this week! Enjoy a solid breakfast and lunch so you can beat those sugar/junk food cravings.
5. Buy some healthier versions of your favorite Halloween snack, like real dark chocolate or candies without HFCS and food dyes. Better yet, use this as an excuse to load up on your favorite expensive fruits, like pomegranates or frozen berries! Happy Halloween!
Thank you for this Katherine! I'm fwding it to my daughter and some of her friends! They know my stance on the subject and hopefully they'll get a laugh that I'm sending it on top of thinking twice and acting on your suggestions :)
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
It Takes Guts Nutrition
Katanne Belisle RHN
Gut Health Specialist
Whitehorse, YT, CAN
What Clients Are Saying
"I was plagued by a myriad of digestive and inflammatory issues and after months of discomfort I was fortunate enough to meet Katanne. Her insight, intuition, knowledge and caring attention has made it possible for me to heal and thrive with a new understanding of the food I eat. I am now healthier, happier and have more energy than I have had in quite some time. " ~ Steve T.
"Katanne gives well balanced information versed in first hand experience and research. After seeing various health professionals over the years, doing my own research, trials and tribulations, I can (say) that this is the real deal, and that what she provides people is a holistic, realistic approach to healing oneself through food" ~ Elizabeth G.